It's Nintendo's latest game controller.
The GamePad is bundled with every Wii U Console. It is the next evolution in motion control gaming, a perfect blend of modern gaming controllers and the Wii Remote. The GamePad can be moved and shaken for accurate motion controls, yet you can also use the two analog sticks and a full complement of buttons for traditional button controls.
Console gaming on two screens.
But what really separates it from any other video game controller is the built-in 6.2-inch touch screen. For the first time in a home console, your game is not restricted to your television. The additional screen allows the Wii U to create a different experience for the GamePad user than those playing with Wii Remotes. Maps, inventories, and additional viewpoints are found right in your hands, freeing up your television to give you the most important view, the game.
Here's what's being said about the GamePad
Overall, its clear that the Wii U offers up the definitive version
of the [Rayman Legends] game as imagined by its creators...
- David Bierton of Digital Foundry
The elegance and simplicity that the touchscreen
brings to the [Disney Infinity] game is hard to overstate...
- Eric Cain of Forbes magazine
But the GamePad is much more than just a game controller. It also functions much like a tablet. The touch screen can be used as a web browser, with web pages that can be quickly displayed back-and-forth between your controller and the television. You can even control the TV via the built-in sensor bar, adjusting the volume and turning it on and off. Link your Netflix or Hulu subscription to your Wii U Console and instantly gain access to additional content on the GamePad while you are viewing your favorite actors or shows.
You can use the GamePad camera and microphone to connect with friends and family around the globe. Either for a long video chat with grandma or use it to trade the sports stats with your favorite Monday Morning Quarterback during the big game. Brings everyone together no matter where you are located.
- Two screens for more gaming fun
- One GamePad is bundled in the box with all Wii U Consoles (GamePad is not sold sold separately)
- Add 4 Wii Remotes and play with 5 players
- Familiar button layout with two analog sticks
- Internet access and web surfing
- Video chat at no cost over your broadband internet connection
- TV remote control
- Games now being designed by Nintendo and other studios alike specifically for the Gamepad
- Pulls real-life content into the game play via the internet browser.
- Screen: 6.2-inch LCD touch screen
- Motion Controls: Accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic sensor
- Movement Buttons: Left and right analog sticks and a +Control Pad
- Action Buttons: A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R shoulder buttons and ZL/ZR trigger buttons
- Other Buttons: Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button
- Sound: Stereo speakers and microphone
- Camera: Front-facing video camera
- Power: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Weight: About 1.1 pounds
- Other Features: Sensor bar, Near Field Communication (NFC), stylus, and rumble features