There are many reasons to strengthen and tone the muscles in your body. Strength training provides many benefits beyond physical appearance, including protection for the bones and muscles, disease prevention, and even increased calorie burn1. With the Wii console and a fitness game, it's easy and fun to develop your muscles and lose weight with a strength training program.
Wii Fit Strength Training Benefits
- Fitness for Everyone: No matter your age or fitness level, the Wii offers a beneficial strength training experience.
- Comfort, Privacy and Value: There are no monthly fees to use your Wii, so you will save a bundle over the gym. And you'll get to enjoy your fun workout program in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
- Health Benefits: Strength training can help to improve your weight loss, energy level, mood, and even decrease arthritis pain.
- Quick and Easy to Get Started: With the quick start guide and the on-screen instructions, it's quick and easy to get started.
- Exercise Correctly: The Balance Board and Wii Remote will allow your game to provide helpful feedback to ensure you perform the exercises safely and correctly.
- Plenty of Fitness: With many different activities on Wii Fit Plus and several other games focused on a comprehensive home workout, there are plenty of customizable routines to help you achieve your fitness, cardio and weight loss goals.
Just a little bit each week goes a long way
It isn't necessary to spend hours a day as a gym rat to tone muscles. According to the Mayo Clinic, you can experience a "significant improvement in your strength with just two or three 20- or 30-minute weight training sessions a week2." Strength training is recommended for healthy adults, and should be added to your weekly aerobic activity.
Save time and money
One of the biggest benefits to strength training on the Wii is the value and convenience. A Wii console is a one-time fee, so there aren't any monthly gym membership dues or any fees to personal trainers, saving money. And since the Wii is plugged into the television, players can enjoy the benefits of fitness and fun in the comfort and privacy of their own home.
Easy and safe on the Wii
Strength training is easy and accessible on the Wii console. The on-screen trainer shows exactly how to do each exercise, and the Wii Remote and Balance Board tracks movement, allowing the trainer to provide helpful feedback and make sure that each motion is performed safely and effectively. Beginning players can set the intensity level to start easy, building up the level of the activities as their skill level improves.
That means that beginners, even those who have never lifted a weight, will have no problem obtaining the benefits of strength training. Strength training has been shown to increase mood, boost energy levels, decrease arthritis pain, increase bone density in post-menopausal women, and even improve the health of individuals with type 2 diabetes.1
It's easy to address problem areas on Wii fitness games by creating a customized program that addresses the core muscles, legs and arms. Players will feel stronger and toned, and have increased stability and balance. Best of all, games like Wii Fit Plus will mix strength training exercising into a complete routine, so it's easy to train muscles while you lose weight and get fit with cardio, aerobics, yoga, and balance exercises.
More than 50 Wii fitness games exist, so there are plenty of options for players to meet their strength training goals. Games have been produced by some of the biggest names in the industry, including Jillian Michaels, Biggest Loser and EA Sports.
How to get started
All that's needed to get started with strength training program is a Nintendo Wii console, a fitness game that includes strength training exercises, and potentially a Wii Balance Board, depending on the game's requirements.