Balance is one of the most important and oft-overlooked aspects to fitness, and yet is increasingly important, especially as we get older. The Wii Balance Board and Wii exercise games promote good balance and posture by detecting and tracking a player's center of balance, and many of the fitness exercises place special emphasis on improving them while working out.
Wii Fit Balance Benefits
- Fitness for Everyone: No matter your age or fitness level, the Wii offers a beneficial balance and posture training experience.
- Comprehensive Home Workout: With many different activities on Wii Fit Plus and several other games focused on a comprehensive home workout, there are plenty of customizable routines to help you achieve your fitness, cardio and weight loss goals.
- Comfort, Privacy and Value: There are no monthly fees to use your Wii, so you will save a bundle over the gym. And you'll get to enjoy your fun workout program in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
- Health Benefits: Improving your balance and posture can improve the health of your neck, back and shoulders, and also help you avoid falling while walking or standing.
- Fast and Easy to Get Started: With the quick start guide and the on-screen instructions, it's fast and easy to get started.
- Exercise Correctly: The Balance Board and Wii Remote will allow your game to provide helpful feedback to ensure you perform the exercises safely and correctly.
The importance of balance
The rate of falls within the elderly population is alarming, with one third of those over the age of 65 falling each year. And those numbers will increase with age.1 A study used in the Mayo Clinic Health Letter shows that elderly adults who had exercised regularly had better balance than others tested.
An article in Divine Caroline states that "adults who started exercising regularly only after retiring had balance skills almost on par with those of the lifelong exercisers."2 You can still improve your fitness and improve your balance, and Wii fitness is an option for this.
Interactive, comprehensive workout
Wii fitness games provide the opportunity to address problem areas and improve heart health while training balance. Players can create a customized program that addresses the core muscles, legs and arms. You will feel stronger and toned, and still have increased stability and balance. Best of all, games like Wii Fit Plus will mix all your training into a complete routine, so you can improve balance and posture while you lose weight and get fit with cardio, aerobics, strength training and yoga exercises.
Games on Wii Fit Plus are also interactive, with nine different activities that emphasis balance and fitness combined with fun games that will keep players enthusiastic about working out.
Save time and money
One of the biggest benefits to improving balance on the Wii is the value and convenience. A Wii console is a one-time fee, so there aren't any monthly gym membership dues or any fees to personal trainers, saving money. And since the Wii is plugged into the television, players can enjoy the benefits of fitness and fun in the comfort and privacy of their own homes.
Easy and safe on the Wii
Training and developing good balance and posture is easy and accessible on the Wii console. The on-screen trainer shows players exactly how to do each exercise, and the Wii Remote and Balance Board tracks their movement, allowing the trainer to provide helpful feedback and make sure that each motion is performed safely and effectively. That means that beginners, even those who have barely exercised at all, will have no problem learning how.
How to get started
All that's needed to get started with a balance program is a Nintendo Wii console, a fitness game that includes strength training exercises, and a Wii Balance Board, which allows your fitness game to track your center of balance.